Army set up panel to investigate Nigerian soldier who killed senior officer, himself at Chibok

– The Nigerian army has commissioned a board to investigate the shooting incident that occurred at Chibok on Sunday

– An armed officer reportedly shot and killed a captain and three civilians

The Headquarters of 28 Task Force Brigade Nigerian army has instituted a Board of Inquiry (BOI) to unravel the circumstances surrounding the shooting incident that resulted in the death of an Officer and a Senior Non-Commission Officer (SNCO), deployed on duty at Chibok, Borno State earlier today Sunday, 12th November 2017.

In a statement released by army spokesperson, General Sani Kukasheka Usman, the unfortunate incident occurred at about 12.50pm Sunday.

Usman’s statement read: “The unit received a report that a staff was seen to be drunk and misbehaving to civilians.

READ ALSO: Operation Deep Punch: Nigerian troops clear Boko Haram camps

Late Captain T. Mani. Photo credit: Sahara Reporters

“An officer was despatched to the scene with a view to bring him back to base. The officer did his best but the SNCO refused several entreaties to calm him and be disarmed by the superior officer. Unfortunately, the Staff Sergeant shot the officer dead and then killed himself.

“Their remains have since been evacuated to a military facility. The BOI is expected investigate the incident and promptly turn in its report and findings in one week.

“The Nigerian army is a disciplined and professional force with zero tolerance for any acts of indiscipline and misdemeanor.

“The death of the officer and the Staff Sergeant is painful and a great loss to the unit and the Nigerian Army.”

PAY ATTENTION: Read the news on Nigeria’s #1 news app

Recall that previously reported that an army staff sergeant, Silas Ninyo (93NA/36/2608) shot dead his superior, Captain T. Mani today, Sunday, November 12.

According to the report, Captain Mani stopped Sergeant Ninyo from beating innocent civilians in Chibok, Borno state after responding to distress calls from locals.

On getting to the scene, Mani reportedly attempted to disarm the sergeant, but was killed in the process, while the solider killed himself and injured four others around.

Nigerian Air Force operations against Boko Haram – on TV