This herb has a unique soothing effect that helps people who are often stressed and have sleep problems. Also, there are many benefits of mint leaves for weight loss that have been outlined for you in the you in our post below.
Health benefit of mint leaf
To understand why mint leave is so unique, let’s consider what useful substances it contains:
- vitamins C and A;
- manganese, potassium, calcium;
- folic acid;
- alimentary fiber.
Considering the fact that mint leaves for weight loss are used up to 4-5 times a day it is important to know about the low caloric content of the plant – only 50-70 calories in 100 g. The number of calories depends on the type of mint (fresh/dried).
Regular use of infusions with mint will not only help to reduce weight but also will have a positive effect on overall health. Consider how useful this plant is:
- Doctors recommend using tea with mint in the case of cold because it has an antiseptic and anti-inflammatory effect.
- Mint activates metabolic processes in the body, stimulates the excretion of toxins.
- Normalizes the digestive tract by stimulating the outflow of bile, reduces gas formation, improves the microflora in the intestines, reduces the acidity of the stomach.
- Strengthens the immune system.
- Has a sedative and soothing effect on the nervous system, relieves stress and anxiety, promotes a deep and peaceful sleep.
- Eliminates skin rashes.
- Kills pathogenic microorganisms in the oral cavity, which eliminates bad breath and improves the condition of the gums.
- It is a powerful antioxidant.
Mint leaves benefits for weight loss
Mint was used for weight loss for a long time, but relatively recently the scientists were able to explain the mechanism of its action. The fact is that this plant contributes to a decrease in appetite. If you drink tea or a drink with mint one hour before the main meal, you will not eat more than necessary to satisfy hunger. Thanks to this, the calorie content of daily food intake decreases and, as a result, you lose extra pounds.
Another property of mint indirectly helping to reduce weight is its calming effect on the nervous system. It has long been proven that when a person is in a stressful state this increases the concentration of the hormone cortisol in the blood, leads to a slowing of metabolism and an increase in appetite. Due to these two factors, weight accumulation occurs.
To assimilate the mint drink better, it is recommended to consume it in a warm form, slowly, in small sips.
It is not necessary to drink always a pure mint drink to say goodbye to being overweight. You can make tea with ginger and mint or prepare lemonade with lemon, cucumber, and mint. Next, we will consider the most popular recipes with mint that can help you to lose weight.
The best recipes
Each of these options will grant you a wonderful taste and a slender figure:
- To make a tea for weight loss, you need to take mint and chamomile in equal quantities and pour them with boiling water (2 tbsp. of the herbal mixture for 2 cups of water). Next, you need to let the drink soak for about 20-30 minutes and then strain it. You may drink it both in a warm and chilled condition.
- You also may brew green tea and add mint to it. 1 teaspoon of mint is needed for 1 cup of tea. The drink should soak for 10 minutes and can be consumed after it. Naturally, using a slimming drink, you can’t add sugar.
- Boil one glass of water and mix it with 1 tsp. of mint. Then add a little ginger or cinnamon (to taste) and strain the drink after 15-20 minutes, consume it 20 minutes before eating.
- Mint lemonade. Pour 2 liters of water into the jug, add 1 lemon cut into small pieces and 12 leaves of mint. Put lemonade in the fridge for the night. The next day you can drink it. It is recommended to consume no more than 4-5 glasses a day.
- Homemade lemonade with cucumber, ginger, and mint for weight loss. Add finely chopped 1 cucumber, 1 lemon, 1 tsp. of grated ginger, 12 mint leaves to 2 liters of cold boiled water and put the container in the refrigerator for 12 hours. It’s recommended to drink lemonade no more than 5 times a day.
- Tea with mint and milk. This drink has a soft, relaxing effect. 1 tsp. of dry leaves of mint and 70 g of leaf tea are added to boiling water. Infuse, filter, add 400 ml of milk and cream. Mix the lemon juice, salt, and sugar in a separate container, connect two compounds, let the drink stand in the refrigerator for half an hour.
- Tea with mint and lemon not only helps to reduce the weight and but also get rid of viral respiratory diseases. Mint leaves are brewed in 200 g of boiling water. Then add a few slices of lemon and 1 tsp. of honey.
Mint oil for weight loss
You should prepare 1 glass of base or sunflower refined oil, 1 bunch of fresh mint.
Heat the oil to 160 degrees. Add the sliced mint and pour hot oil into the glass container. This mixture is kept sealed in the dark for one month. Then it should be decanted. That’s all, the oil is ready. Keep refrigerated. The expiry date is one year.
How to use such oil for weight loss? Very simple: drip 1-2 drops under the tongue or on a calcium tablet, or add to 1/2 teaspoon of honey and gradually dissolve it in your mouth. This procedure should be done ten days three times a day.
Even the smell of mint can contribute to weight loss thanks to its ability to reduce appetite. Mint aromatic oil should be dropped on a handkerchief or wrist and inhaled every couple of hours during the day. It’s quite an effective method. The volume of consumed calories is reduced by about a third.
Bath with mint essential oil
Add 12-15 drops of essential oil to a warm bath. Take a bath for 15-20 minutes. This will help to reduce muscle tension, and oil vapors will help to calm a headache and nervous system.
Bath with mint decoction
Take 2 liters of water, bring to a boil, put there 20 leaves of mint and boil for 10 minutes. Filter the decoction and pour into the bath. Take a procedure from 15 to 20 minutes. Mint baths significantly improve the condition of the skin and help fight cellulite.
Despite the fact that mint has a beneficial effect on health, there are contraindications to its use:
- individual intolerance to menthol;
- acid reflux;
- pregnancy (regular use of tea with mint may provoke relaxation of the uterine muscles and consequently lead to the threat of miscarriage);
- men should also be wary of mint because it reduces reproductive function and potency;
- mint tea is contraindicated for children under three years.
Any herbs can have a bad effect on the body in case you consume them too much. If you drink too much mint tea then this can cause:
- pain in the muscles;
- slowing of the heart rate;
For sure, it’s possible to say only one thing: you will not get rid of 3-4 kilograms per week if you rely only on benefits of mint leaves for weight loss. You still need to add a diet and exercise. In a complex, they will give a good result.
Drink mint tea regularly but do not overdo. At any time, herbal teas can replace usual black/green tea or coffee. These drinks are psychostimulants. Excessive consumption of caffeine or being in a constant state of stress, nervousness can reduce the results of the diet to zero and even cause the addition of kilograms. Mint will help you to cope with these problems easily.